Do you want to get accepted from a university in Germany?

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Each university in Germany has its own application requirements. Some universities have their own international offices, where you can apply directly. Others work with institutions like Uni-Assist. In this case you have to send your application to Uni-Assist, where your documents will be checked and then forwarded to the university, that you applied to.
Almost all universities require german language knowledge at the level of C1.
Each university has its own requirements. Ordinary, the needed documents are listed on their websites.
There are different requirements. The most universities require B2 or C1 Level in German language.
Some university degrees like medicine offer limited admission (NC), because there are a lot of applicants. The better your diploma grades are, the greater is the chance to get an admission.
You can take part at TestAS, which gives you the opportunity to improve your average school grade.
It depents on what you want to study. In this case your bachelor´s degree grade will be the deciding factor.

In order to get admitted to a master´s degree you need to have finished bachelor´s degree. The bachelor´s degree is the first degree, that you have to complete. This is the reason there are more general academic or scholastic aptitude tests (Eignungsfeststellungsprüfungen) when applying for a bachelor´s degree.

To have better chances at getting university admission, you can do Praktika or write a Motivational letter. However, the most important factor is your bachelor´s degree grade.

Some universities work with Uni-Assist e.V. and charge 75,00€ for an application. Other universities like TU Clausthal, TU Braunschweig, TU ILLmenau or TU Keiserslautern charge between 40 and 75,00€ per application. But at the most universities the application is free.
For EU-Students there are no university fees in german universities. However, since Summersemester 2017, there are fees for students in Baden-Württemberg, who do not come from EU-countries. Third-country students have to pay 1500€ per Semester. In the rest of the german federal states there are no university fees.
There are a lot of german language schools in Germany, if you want to learn the language in Germany, that offer courses from beginner to advanced level in german knowledge.

There are 3 types of visa:

  1. Visa for german language courses: If you do not have an university admission letter and want to visit only german language courses for a particular period of time, you can apply for this type of visa. With this type of visa you are allowed to stay in Germany maximum for 9 months. You cannot convert this type of visa to a student visa.
  2. Visa for university preparation: If you have an admission letter by a german university and registration for german language courses in Germany, you can apply for this type of visa.
  3. Student visa: If you have a direct admission for a degree at a german university without any requirements, you can apply for student visa.